Episode #21 – Take This Job and Redefine It

Episode #21 – Take This Job and Redefine It

This week Charlie and Ginny Tonic are joined by Aloysius Fox for a segment where Ginny asks them both about what it was like to walk away from traditional employment. All three dive in for a conversation about the changing nature of work in our culture. Add to that a discussion of a couple great apps and a home brewed masterwork and you have the heart of episode #21. Oh, don’t forget the Muppets. Yes, this week we also have Muppets!

Run Time:
1 Hour, 9 Minutes, 27 Seconds

Download the episode:
charlietonichour021.mp3

iTunes
charlietonic.libsyn.com/rss

Segment 1 – Discourse Intercourse
(Starts at 15 seconds into the show)

What happens when Ginny and Charlie have a quiet week?  The unheard of
happens so we’re talking life, coffee shops and more in the show opener this week.

rohsstreetcafe.com

New Pandora Promotions Services Page
Officially Unveiled

Segment 2 – Six Apps
(Starts at 9 minutes, 9 seconds into the show)

Ginny Tonic’s Three

Charlie’s Three

Guilty Pleasure Mention

Segment 2 – Reconsidering How We Spend Our Time
With Special Guest Aloysius Fox
(Starts at 22 minutes, 59 seconds into the show)

A story tied to the segment:
We’re Not Young

(AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Article Ginny mentions during the segment:
The Jobless Model

Segment 3 – Bottoms Up
Guy Serves Up A Great Home Brew
(Starts at 53 minutes, 20 seconds into the show)

Two bottles that had us saying cheers!

Thanks Guy!

Segment 4 – Closing Out The Show
(Starts at 57 minutes, 21 seconds into the show)

A celebration of Muppet nostalgia!

Man or Muppet

Me Party

The Music You Hear Throughout the Episode

callingdoctorbombay.com

9 Responsesto “Episode #21 – Take This Job and Redefine It”

1. Travis says:

The embedded streaming episode seems to start at the end of another segment saying it’s going into the drinking segment (also seems there are two “segment 2″s)

Checking the mp3 and Slacker now to see if they have the same issue.

2. Travis says:

MP3 has the same issue. It’s not up on Stitcher (not slacker as I said) yet.

3. Charlie says:

Checking on it. Thanks!

4. Charlie says:

Replacing the file. May take 10 minutes or so. Must have been an upload issue.

5. Emma Peelout says:

That was particularly wonderful (once we got the entire show :p)
    Always a pleasure to hear Aloysius and his views, but also how serious it got. Yeah it’s a downer, but we can’t always strive to hide the horrible things we never want to turn and face. You guys kept it real and that’s just as important as the drinking segment on the show, I think.
    Things in this country really suck ass and I’m a victim just like everyone else. My kids, for instance, are in a PUBLIC school where, not only have they taken Art and Music completely away, now they no longer consider Science to be anything of worth and have THROWN IT OUT! They threw. out. SCIENCE!! I am a very outspoken Athiest, but with Berkeley being gifted/genius (really), we had to make a very uncomfortable decision. And so next school year he will skip 2 grades and be going to Covington Latin, a parochial Catholic school. He HAS to get what he deserves and public schools are so beat down it’s scary. REALLY.
    Anyway..sorry that’s it. Unlikely mother rant over :)

Cheers
    Emma!

6. John says:

Good show as always but where do you go when you have plenty of time but no vision? When you have been so long in the grip of the corporate mindset that you find yourself crippled as to what to do now that you are out of it?

Weighty questions that may not have easy answers but a problem that must certainly exist in the minds of many of the newly “other employed”.

7. Gordon says:

I have to say I really liked the conversation about jobs and work – having been freelancing for the past year and a half, I often have mixed feelings. Mostly, I like the security of having someone else do some of the tougher paperwork….but quite honestly, I’ve been fortunate in having some great opportunities come my way, and that I haven’t had to worry about income. Admittedly, it’s a mixed bag, but I’m finding that if the tendency is for people to become “entrepreneurs” (for lack of a better term), and my work is drifting in that direction anyway, it’s probably easier and smarter for me to go in that direction than try to re-enter the more formal workforce.

In fact, one of the things I’ll be doing is highlighting this podcast in an upcoming guest post on Chicago Now’s Job Stalker blog. At the very least, it may drive some further conversation…and get you an extra download.

8. here says:

It seems to me that this site doesnt download in a Motorola Droid. Are other people getting the exact same issue? I enjoy this webpage and dont want to have to skip it when Im away from my computer.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Menu of Food For Thought | Job Stalker - [...] co-host a podcast called The Charlie Tonic Hour. On one of their most recent podcasts, they had a really…