Episode #4 – Modern Vintage Film, Future Tech and a Hot Toddy

Episode #4 – Modern Vintage Film, Future Tech and a Hot Toddy

Ginny Tonic and Charlie return with their fourth episode and this week films take center stage, but that’s not all.  Topics on the slate for discussion include a little discourse intercourse as we look back on a scifi meetup at the Roxx and ahead to Ohayocon.  From there we discuss some upcoming steampunk leaning films and compare notes on a bit of future tech that’s in our future.  We recover a bit from some illness with a Hot Toddy (or three) and close out the show with some sexy promised poetry and a band called The Like!  You will not want to miss this week’s show.  Haven’t you heard, we’re “new an noteworthy”.  Just ask iTunes.  Better yet, listen and judge for yourself.

Download the episode:
charlietonichour004.mp3

iTunes
charlietonic.libsyn.com/rss

Segment 1 – Discourse Intercourse
(Starts at 14 seconds into the show)

Cincinnati SciFi & Fantasy Geek Club
Meetup at the Roxx Electrocafe

Coming next week…
AloysiusOhayocon

Segment 2 – Modern Vintage Film
(Starts at 10 minutes, 42 seconds into the show)

Hugo

The Artist

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Stephen LindsayJesus Hates Zombies
Jane Austen’s Fight Club

Woman in Black

Downton AbbeySherlock

Albert Nobbs

Terry Gilliam’s 1884

What is Steampunk?

Segment 3: Future Tech
(Starts at 35 minutes, 16 seconds into the show)

Smart Cars and Wondrous Windows

Segment 4: A Classic Hot Toddy
(Starts at 53 minutes, 56 seconds into the show)

Hot Toddy

Cure for the Common Cold Discovered in Cincinnati

Segment 5: A Musical Moment As We Close The Show
(Starts at 1 hour, 2 minutes, 3 seconds into the show)

The Like

The Music You Hear Throughout the Episode
Doctor Bombay and the Atomic Bachelor Pad

9 Responsesto “Episode #4 – Modern Vintage Film, Future Tech and a Hot Toddy”

1. Travis says:

I’ve been looking for a way where I could read “Devil in the White City” about H. H. Holmes for a while without disrupting my goal of reading all of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom series this year, so I just signed up for Audible with your referral and got it that way!

2. Charlie says:

Thanks Travis. In my opinion, you won’t be disappointed by “Devil in the White City”. It’s been a few years back, but I did enjoy the read. That said, I will caveat that statement just a bit. The murderer/mystery side of the story isn’t altogether unique, but the presentation of the World’s Fair won me over for this story. To me, the setting was the heart of the novel and it was depicted in a way that caught and held my attention. It left me seeking out more historical accounts following the read and that for me is a win.

• Travis says:

Up to chapter 2 so far. I do enjoy alternate looks at H. H. Holmes. I think he’s probably the archetype for every “secret passages and trap doors in the evil villain’s castle” character ever, and he was real!

3. Calamity Dawn says:

Loved the episode. The only reason I haven’t hit up audible is I can’t listen to books and drive at the same time. :-) Last time I did we missed our exit and drove 100 miles out of our way!
    Hot toddies are on the menu tonight.
    Looking forward to the next episode! (and the one after that, and the one after that, etc., etc., and so forth.)

4. Charlie says:

Thanks Calamity! Honored to have you as a regular listener (and friend). Really looking forward to trying your Charlie Tonic drink creation in two weeks.

5. I have same feeling about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies fad. Have you seen this awesome cartoon by Kate Beaton? http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=263

I am definitely on the Downton Abbey bandwagon. The character of Lady Violet is incredible. Dame Maggie Smith is one of my very favorite actresses. And you’re right about the great quality of PBS programming. With the new Sherlock and Downton, oh! And the new Upstairs, Downstairs (have you ever watched the original?), I am very pleased with what Masterpiece has been offering over the last few years.

I’m so glad to have found your podcast. I’ve been following the Make Cincinnati Weird blog for a very long time.

6. Charlie says:

Great to have you with us Sara and thank you very much for listening! Love Kate Beaton’s work on Hark and I’m betting Ginny will really enjoy that link.

We’re both pretty new to Downton, but it has us hooked. Finding time to watch more and catch up has been the challenge lately. We’ve been dividing our time across several shows. It think we just need to settle on one and catch up fully. I’ll have to try Upstairs, Downstairs.

Cheers!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Episode #73 – Games, Comfortable Drinks and a Little Life | The Charlie Tonic Hour - [...] Cure for the Common Cold Discovered in Cincinnati by Ginny Tonic Charlie Tonic Episode #4 - Modern Vintage Film, Future Tech…